Donald Trump spoke about the costs of illegal immigration over the weekend. Breitbart reports;
“Illegal immigration in Washington State is costing the taxpayers, that is you, $2.7 billion a year,” Trump told a packed crowd in the northern border town of Lynden, Washington. Trump declared that the attendance was “an all time record” for the facility at the Northwest Washington fairgrounds.
The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) cites $2.7 billion as the annual cost of illegal immigration to Washington taxpayers as of 2012.”
As for the entire United States a new report from the Center for Immigration Studies shows that immigrant families cost taxpayers 41% more in welfare benefits than native-born Americans.
- The average household headed by an immigrant (legal or illegal) costs taxpayers $6,234 in federal welfare benefits, which is 41 percent higher than the $4,431 received by the average native household.
- The average immigrant household consumes 33 percent more cash welfare, 57 percent more food assistance, and 44 percent more Medicaid dollars than the average native household. Housing costs are about the same for both groups.
- At $8,251, households headed by immigrants from Central America and Mexico have the highest welfare costs of any sending region — 86 percent higher than the costs of native households.
- Illegal immigrant households cost an average of $5,692 (driven largely by the presence of U.S.-born children), while legal immigrant households cost $6,378.
- The greater consumption of welfare dollars by immigrants can be explained in large part by their lower level of education and larger number of children compared to natives. Over 24 percent of immigrant households are headed by a high school dropout, compared to just 8 percent of native households. In addition, 13 percent of immigrant households have three or more children, vs. just 6 percent of native households.
Read the report in full here.