Yesterday a Washington Post article on who might be Donald Trump’s pick for Vice President was making the rounds. The Washington Post claimed “Carson named the VP contenders to the Washington Post during a car ride with his wife Candy to a TV interview.
“Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the 2008 VP running mate to John McCain, was one of the five Carson said was on the list. The rest are all former 2016 GOP presidential candidates: Trump’s closest competitor Sen. Ted Cruz, Ohio Gov. John Kasich, Sen. Marco Rubio, and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.”
I doubted the story when I saw it. Sarah Palin had already said she didn’t want to be a burden on the ticket. The former Alaska Governor put her country over her personal ambitions.
“Well, I want to help and not hurt, and I am such a realist that I realize there are a whole lot of people out there who would say ‘anybody but Palin,’ ” the former Alaska governor said on CNN’s “State of the Union” last week.
“I don’t want to be a burden on the ticket, and I realize in many eyes, I would be a burden,” she said. “I just want the guy to win, and I don’t know if I would be the person to help him win.”
Senator Jeff Sessions has also said he wouldn’t be Vice President for similar reasons.
“When asked about a Trump-Sessions ticket, the senator smiled, and said, “We’ve got enough problems.”
Instead of a southern senator, Sessions said that Trump “needs to get somebody who can help him win this election. And that’s what I support. And I’m not sure who that is, but I’m sure it won’t be me.”
Donald Trump is at War with the Washington Post and it looks like they got punked again.
The @washingtonpost report on potential VP candidates is wrong. Marco Rubio and most others mentioned are NOT under consideration.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 16, 2016
“Ben Carson said Monday that he’ll keep working on helping Donald Trump pick a running mate, but he doesn’t want to be that person.
“This is something that is extremely undesirable to me — as is any government post, quite frankly,” the retired neurosurgeon and former GOP candidate told CNN‘s Chris Cuomo on the “New Day” program. “I believe that citizen statesmen can work from outside the government in a capacity where they can contribute to the well-being of the country.”
Further, he said, he has “no intention of running for office” again.
“Basically, what I was saying is I’m not going to tell you, so any name you throw out, yeah, I’m going to say, ‘Sure, we’ll consider that person,'” Carson told Cuomo. “It doesn’t mean they’re on the short list or a serious consideration.”
“My involvement is to continue to work on making sure that Donald Trump’s candidacy runs successfully,” he said. “More importantly, that America becomes successful.”
Some sites say Newt Gingrich is at the top of the list. I’ll wait until Trump announces who his VP picks might be. Until then, anything else is just speculation or as some might call it click bait.